Have you ever heard the saying "Love is Blind"? I remember my Mother telling me about this saying when I had finally found out (and actually allowed myself to come to terms with the fact) that one of my high school boyfriends was cheating on me. Yes...I was so upset...you know the typical high school girl drama... I thought the world was ending. But I remember Bernie being just as upset and consoling me...telling me that unfortunately Love is Blind...makes us not see the things we don't want to! haha
Well I've realized that a Mothers Love is even MORE blind that a high school girls hah!!
All babies/kids go through some awkward/ugly phases in life. You know like the 6 week old baby acne phase or the 12-15 year old lanky armbs/big teeth phase...I'm dreading that one. But the other day one of my male co-workers noticed the picture I had on my phone with both kids....
The FIRST thing out of his mouth was "Oh she has one of those marks on her forehead". haha Some women would have been very offended by that comment BUT I know our Ella is beautiful...regardless of the stork bite that’s lingering on her forehead. It made me laugh though because Ella has had the red mark on her forehead since she was born...I never worried about it. When we were being checked out of the hospital to bring her home, the pediatrician also made a comment about the mark on her forehead ("She has a V on her forehead" while holding is fingers in a V on his forehead..rude ass). THAT particular doc said it was a port wine on her forehead...which FREAKED my poor husband out. He thought she was going to have a mark on her forehead forever. BUT I reassure him daily that it will fade and if not THATS ok too! I have friends with port wines and friends with kids that have them too...a port wine would be the least of my worries.
But the saying that a Mothers Love is Blind is sooo true....because I don't even NOTICE her stork bite anymore. I'm sure many people notice it first thing but its like it doesn't even exist to me anymore. And when I look back at pictures of Owen right after he was born...my GOD he was an ugly newborn. Actually kinda scary looking...and yes I can say that since I'm the mom.
Thankfully...at the time I thought he was the most gorgeous baby ever...but man when I look back at the pictures...geez-o...he was not cute. haha Luckily he blossomed into one of the most gorgeous babies on this planet...and yes I know every mother says that about their own children...BUT thats the best thing about being the mom! We are blind...in a good way.
All of the little imperfections are things I love about my kids. Both have/had little things that are probably very noticeable to outsiders and don’t phase me. I think they are the most gorgeous children EVER!
Ella’s Storkbiten forehead, Angel Kissed eyelids and her Baby Mullet hair style…
Owen’s horrible baby acne and crazy cradle cap that made all his hair fall out!
…But they are my heart…my universe and DAMN cute too!
I tell my kids daily how adorable they are...I hope I continue to do that forever. I want them to have the confidence they need...know they are adore and important! It makes me sad to think about the parents that don't tell their own kids they are amazing in anyway! I had a student tell me today that his parents have NEVER told him that he's a good kid...and that makes me sad. I hope those parents are just too busy to think about it about it vs Not realizing they have a great child!
I like being blind...I pray that my "blindness" continues EXCEPT for when they misbehave or start testing us as parents in the future! Lord help us during those teenage years!
No comments:
Post a Comment